Sunday, October 25, 2009
GOOD HAIR!!! WHAT IS GOOD HAIR???WHAT I LEARNT FROM WATCHING THE MOVIE "GOOD HAIR" BY CHRIS ROCK
So last night, I went to see "Good Hair" by Chris Rock. It was a documentary about hair and why black women are so obsessed with it. I've always known that black women spent outrageous sums of money on their hair but I never realised till after watching that movie how bad it really was. Here are all the things I learnt from that movie.
1. The hair industry in this country is a 9 billion dollar industry. Black women make up 80% of the consumers of hair product. 80 damn percent lmao.
2. Weaves are now the main thing, and 3 out of 4 black women have tried weave on their hair. The weave industry is run by Asians mostly koreans. Moreover, there are only 4 black owned hair companies in the US. Most of the companies are run by white people and asians. This fact was especially an embarassment. Black people can not even control the products that only they themselves use.
3. Perms are definitely bad for you. It was so sad to see that nawadays, girls as young as 1 and half are getting perms. Their moms are making them get perms, can you imagine? Destroying this little children's bifocals for life.
4. The famous "Indian Hair" comes from the hair of indian women. In india, there is this practice called "tonsure" where the women go and shave their hair as a sacrifice to this one God who's name starts with "V". (It was a long ass name lol). The women who shave their hair, have no idea that their hairs are being sold to black women in the US at such an outrageous price. I am literally serious, the indian hair some of you use come from the very backs of other humans who sacrifice it. The "middle man" literally go and gather up all the hair from the temple of the God, dress it really well, put it in a suitcase and fly to yankee. They then stop at various shops and sell it. The hair in that suitcase costs 20 000 dollars. In the movie, they showed the indian man arriving with all this hair in the suitcase, and they showed him stopping at one of his customer's shops and the customer was now talking about how Viviva Fox loves indian hair, then at the last moment he made a mistake and was like some other celebrity loves Malaysian hair. An awkward silence then ensued because the Indian was annoyed that any celebrity would prefer malaysian hair over indian hair.
5. Ignorance plays a huge factor in this industry. People where paying upto a thousand dollars for "weave" a thousand dollars? Women could pay upto 3500 dollars for weaves, and all these women who paid for such weaves were average women. They showed a school teacher, a restaurant lady and other examples of average women who would spend upto a thousand on "weave".
6. Apparently, you can't pull a black woman's hair during sex. Black women won't go swimming, or if they do the water never rises above the neck. You literally cannot touch a black woman's hair anyhow, especially when she just got her hair did. That is tantamount to "having your fingers chopped off".Men were complaining that "hair expenses" where biting into their household expenses. The average black woman spends not less than a thousand dollars on hair per year. Frigging thousand dollars?
7. Original black hair is not used in the Industry, Chris Rock tried selling "black african hair" to the hair dressers and they were like "get that nappy shit" out of here. It was so shameful to realise that black women are not proud of their own hair. Apparently, even employers would not employ a black woman if she had her natural hair on.
8. Black Women apparently are on a mission to get the straightest Hair as possible. If the hair isn't straight and "smooky smooth" black women aren't going near it.
In conclusion, from a male perspective, it felt like Black Women were not proud of their own natural Hair. Why are black women not rocking their own "hair". Black Women are literally rocking the hair off the heads of women in India who sacrificed their hair. The Indian Woman does not even value hair as being that serious. "IT'S JUST HAIR".
Almost 80% of women in that country will shave their hair at the temple of the God. The God apparently requires their hair as sacrifice, and it was quite obvious that these ignorant people were being exploited for their hair. After sacrificing their hair, that same hair which should be a sacrifice is now shipped to various places in the world and people are becoming millionaires simply from selling the hair. Can you imagine? Honestly, the ability of Religion to "delude" people never ceases to amaze me.
P.S: By divine command, I hereby state that this post will be the last post about Hair on Blogsville. Like forreal guys, all this hair topic is becoming boring. NO MORE HAIR POSTS @ least for a good year. *So it shall be written, and so it shall be done*